Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Mystery Spot

Jill's Journal: Every now and then, we just have to do something kooky and touristy. Today was that day as we headed to the famous “Mystery Spot.” The girls absolutely, completely, totally loved it. Look how mysteriously sideways they are in this photo; poor Victoria is hanging on for dear life.

“The Mystery Spot is an area about 150 feet in diameter located in the redwood forests just outside of Santa Cruz. Within the Mystery Spot the laws of physics do not apply. It appears as though every law of gravitation has gone haywire, turned topsy-turvy and just doesn’t make sense. Some unseen magnetism or phenomenon just upsets all former ideas of equilibrium. What is it that makes one stand up leaning backwards or sideways?” –from the brochure

And, indeed, the instant we stepped inside the area, it looked like everyone was standing sideways when we all felt we were standing straight up. The pictures are all skewed partially because it’s impossible to take a straight photo when you’re at such an angle!

Erika climbed almost up to the ceiling on a ladder. The angle is such that she felt like she could have walked across the wall.

The guide took out levels several times to show us the ground is level, although compasses and any other measurements within the 150-foot circle are off and show up to a 17 degree angle. The guide also rolled billiard balls and even my chap stick to prove different points; very mysterious things happened every single time.

As soon as we were in the Mystery Spot, I immediately felt like I had motion sickness and several other people in the group were nauseated. One lady even fell over! Here I am hanging from the doorway, feeling like I’m hanging straight down but clearly at quite an angle. Very mysterious, indeed.

The girls were completely enthralled. Halfway through the tour, Madelyn turned to me in all sincerity and confided, “Other tours aren’t very interesting, but this one really is!” Too cute.

An added bonus: the girls got to see the gigantic banana slugs up close and personal. This one was eating a good-sized grape that had clearly seen better days. The girls were fascinated by them. I would freak out if I ever found one in the house.

To end the fun little outing, we picked up dinner at Taqueria Santa Cruz, a little hole in the wall we’d heard about from a friend of Rob’s. Oh, how we’ve missed authentic Mexican food. Delicious.

7 comments:

Robert Williams said...

I think you need to mention our tour guide - Phillip - who not only made one bad joke after another, but also took our girls in stride and made the entire tour fantasticaly fun - even if he had an unfigureable accent. :)

gretchenhs said...

It looks really weird! The picture of you hanging is mind boggling! LOL

Anonymous said...

I see Miss Victoria consented to be photographed in her tie-dye shirt after all. :)

-Diana

Anonymous said...

I second Diana's thoughts. I noticed right away that Victoria was sporting that infamous, never-before-seen tie-died shirt. Must admit, at first I thought she was hiding behind the structure because she didn't want the shirt photographed.;)

Jill, I agree completely, that banana slug is unforgivably nasty and far too snake-like for me.

Wendi

Anonymous said...

What a groovy place that is!! I have a feeling I'd get queezy, too, but I still wanna go!! My girls would love it...

~Jen

Jill said...

Diana and Wendi, too funny that you ladies noticed Victoria's shirt!! I'd put it with her clothes even though she hadn't liked it so it could be HER idea to put it on. No one can tell that girl to do anything! It's always a careful balance between being the parent and letting her think things are her idea. Little bugger.

Gretchen and Jennifer, it was a crazy place! We actually had a ball. I think your girls would all get a huge kick out of it. Erika was telling me again today that she LOVED it. :)

Unknown said...

I remember going there as a child. What a fun trip. I'm enjoying the pictures of the redwoods.