Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Gilroy, Garlic Capital of the World

Jill's Journal: This afternoon, we headed a little south with visions of garlic dancing in our heads. Gilroy is the home of a massive garlic festival in the summer and we felt sure we’d learn more about garlic than we ever dreamed. It was actually a little bit of a bust – we found out very little about garlic, but we did find garlic ice cream.

Amazingly Rob liked it, but one bite about did me in. To their credit, the girls all tried it, but only Victoria was daring enough to have a second bite. She told us she liked it, but I suspect she didn’t really mean it as she was hanging out her tongue in misery and giving the “bad taste shiver” as she said it. Too funny.

Gilroy is the self-proclaimed “Garlic Capital of the World.” And we believe it! We could smell garlic almost immediately after we crossed into the city limit. The amount of garlic shops and garlic markets and garlic restaurants was truly spellbinding. We purchased a few garlic products, but I personally won’t be delving in anytime soon, in spite of what I thought was a love of garlic – that ice cream is going to haunt me for a while!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love garlic, but I can't imagine garlic ice cream being a treat! I'll pass!

Love, MOM VP

Jill said...

Mom/Beppy, how wonderful to see comments from you!! Love it. And you are so right -- garlic and ice cream just don't mix, at least to my way of thinking - probably one of the worst things I've ever tried. I still cringe when I think about it. Rob liked it enough to finish the whole container. More power to him. Blech!!!