Thursday, April 14, 2011

Golden Gate Fields

Jill's Journal: Time for one of our most favorite activities! The girls and I went on a road trip to Berkeley today to visit Golden Gate Fields, Northern California’s last major bastion of Thoroughbred racing. She’s actually a smallish track and definitely showing her age, but she’s doing it gracefully. She’s still lovely. What a fun time we had. The girls rooted home their picks in a few races and we left feeling like celebrities.

For all the crusty status the public gives horseplayers, they’re a pretty warm and welcoming bunch when they see little kids enjoying racing. We had a slew of Grandpa-types coming up to ask the girls which horse they thought was the prettiest or coming over to give them a "tip" ("bet the three!") or telling me how fun it is to see little kids enjoying a day at the track or to say that I’m a lucky Mommy. Madelyn told one older man, a kind track employee, that horses are her favorite animals. His response, “Mine too! Have fun here, you sweet babies!”

Oh yes, we had fun. The girls also made friends with a darling little girl who only spoke Spanish. Language is no barrier when it comes to kids.

Golden Gate has been in business since 1941. The legendary Bill Shoemaker won his very first career race here in 1949. And you can see the San Francisco skyline and the Golden Gate Bridge across the bay from the parking lot. It is a neat place. I’m so glad we went.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now that is someplace I have been. I remember going with my Mom and Dad when I was little. We got separated and to help me find my parents one of the guys who blows the bugles put me up on his shoulders as he went out between races. Mom & Dad weren't too happy, but I thought it was really cool.

Jill said...

Love it, Gary!