Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding

Jill's Journal: Rob made fun of me (boo!), but since we have tv at our location this week, I wanted the girls to see at least part of this morning’s royal wedding. Yes, I know we’re not British and we’re far more interested in someone like Mickey Mouse than we are in celebrities, but I thought it was still an historic event they should see.

Unlike a lot of girls, I wasn’t enamored by weddings when I was little (I would much rather daydream about horses than weddings), but I distinctly remember watching the Charles and Diana spectacle as a little girl and thinking all the pageantry was just amazing. And besides, there were lots of horses in the processions!

Sure enough, the girls settled in for the highlight show here on the West Coast and were pretty enthralled. What little girl doesn’t like a fairy tale? They then spent the rest of the day pretending they were queens, kings, and princesses. But guess what their favorite part was? The procession from Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace…because of all the horses, of course. They are my daughters, indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember watching Charles & Diana's wedding too--from start to finish, at my mom's enthusiastic insistence. She was equally over-excited about this wedding and it finally ocurred to me last week that, being a native Canadian, she actually is a British subject and spent the first years of her life singing "God Save the Queen" instead of "God Bless America" so of course she would be caught up in these things! Why did it take me 30 years to figure this out? :)

-Diana

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

Ok, I am catching up on blog reading :-) PLEASE feed this to FB then I will remember haha. Just wanted to say on this one that I mirror your sentiments and got Bernadette up to watch it live with me (it wasn't too early here) She them proceeded for the rest of the day to put on a long veil I had but never used and Maryn carried her train as they walked around the living room :-)