Friday, April 29, 2011

Only One Thing…

Jill's Journal: In reviewing our long list of things we had wanted to cover (and did!) in San Francisco, I realized there was only one thing we never tackled. And it was by choice – Alcatraz Island, shown here in one of our snapshots from the Fisherman’s Wharf area. The girls are still young and they have not enjoyed the two or three occasions I’ve taken them to historic jails or prisons on this trip. They’ve been uncomfortable each time. Instead of thinking (caught) bad guys are interesting, they find them a little scary, for lack of a better word. So, after discussing it, we saw no reason to give them nightmares with this most notorious of federal prisons. Rob and I have both taken the tour before and it’s fascinating, but we’ll save it for our girls when they’re older, if we ever make it through this area again.

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Wise choice. I was pretty young (seven, I think) during my first visit to Alcatraz. It's creepy and dark and damp and claustrophobic, and I'm not claustrophobic. The walk up to (and down from) the prison can be pretty rough, the hills feel steeper than those in the city. It's definitely an experience that can wait.