Sunday, September 25, 2011

Apple Hill

Jill's Journal: About an hour outside of South Lake Tahoe in the Sierra foothills is a region called Apple Hill. You won’t find it on a map, but it’s real nonetheless.

Apple Hill is a group of farms that first banded together in 1964 to promote the area and their products. It started small, but now has more than 50 local farms in the growers’ association. They’re mostly apple farms, but there’s also a healthy smattering of wineries and Christmas tree farms, and even a microbrewery. We stopped at six or seven of the farms today.

Of course there’s every sort of apple goodness available that one can imagine. Apple pie was a surprising hit with our girls, as was apple cider. An apple dumping, not so much.

We spent a disproportionate amount of time at a straw maze…the girls absolutely loved it. Several rousing games of hide-and-seek left me with the indelible memory of Rob flinging himself over a wall of straw in a Jason Bourne-like move. But apparently Bourne is no mere mortal, as Rob emerged with a number of scrapes and the girls still found him!

Apples, pumpkins, beanbag tosses, petting zoos, shopping, shopping, and more shopping. What an enjoyable way to spend an early-fall afternoon.

Victoria always takes time to smell the roses.

Apple crates: they’re bigger than you think.

For future reference for the girls - we went to: Grandpa's Cellar(17) for the pie and turnover, then to Apple Ridge Farms(20) for the hay maze and animals (and apple cider). On to the Jack Russel Farm Brewery(36) for Daddy, and Kids Inc.(5), then a quick trip to grab lunch and walk the festival in Placerville to try to find the hangtree (sadly closed). Back to Boa Vista(3) for some fruit shopping and finally High Hill Ranch(1) just to check it out (and give Daddy a flashback from the pond). A fun, full, day in Apple Hill. --R.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I was saddened to read the other day that the Gravenstein apple orchards in Sonoma County are being replaced with vineyards. At least now I know where I can go to get my apple fix when I go back to California.

Anonymous said...

Gary, Apple Hill is not only a place for apples they have christmas tree farms and pumpkin fields and pears and the best apple pie and strudel anywhere plus the best caramel apples I have found yet. In this place each farm has their speciality. Kids inc has walking pie and mile high apple pie and really good apple strudel, most all the big farms like kids inc and grandpa's cellar and the big one high hill have people from all over northern calif. selling their crafts from cute holiday crafts and fur stuffed animals to paintings and quilts all home made not mass produced. Rob and Wendi and I used to make this an annual trip to stock the freezer with frozen apple goodies, to buy our fill of caramel apples and halloween pumpkins and of course the crafts many I still use when decorating for the holidays. It is an experience your children may really enjoy. Jill did you go to high hill, do they still have the trout pond? Bob never went with us to Apple Hill, he just really enjoyed the spoils of our trips. It really is a great place for children and adults. I am thrilled my grand daughters got to go to one of my favorite places. I hope they enjoyed it as much as my kids did at their age.
Andee

R. said...

Mom - we did make high hill, and I do remember the trout pond, though we were there late and didn't have time to fish. The girls did get to see quite a few fish there and really enjoyed it. We also hit Kids Inc. and the brewery (for me), as well as a few other farms. Definitely good times for the kids, tho I wish the fruit was more in season. Its been late this year because of the weather.

R. said...

Gary - Boa Vista also has Gravenstein applesauce, both sweetened and un, and they are open year round. If I'd known I'd have shipped you some. :)

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

Such beautiful children! This could lure Gerry back to the West, he is ALL about Apple Pie!! We are searching for a farm here to go Apple Picking..

Jill said...

Aw, thanks Andrea! They're good girls. :) And an Irishman being all about apple pie? Good for him! Don't tell him this is only the third time in my life I've ever even had a bite of apple pie! It IS yummy though, isn't it? Hope you find a local farm!

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

Good Lord, how is that possible in the USA!!??

Jill said...

I know -- it's dreadfully un-American, isn't it? I'll work on that. :)

Katie Lady said...

Apple pie is a staple around our house, since we have THREE apple trees in our backyard. Next week, my mom and I are trying our hand at making and canning (!) apple butter. If it works out, I'll wrap one tightly and send it your way.

WE LOVE apple hill and Placerville. Now, you're making Tim homesick.

Anonymous said...

Mmmhmmm... If I recall correctly, pie is only a fairly recent addition to Ms. Jill's palate - yes? ;-)

~Jen

Jill said...

Katie -- not one, but three apple trees? In the middle of Orange County? How awesome is that?? And I tried apple butter for the first time at Apple Hill and it was sooooo good! Yes, please, I'd love to share the wealth -- I hope your making and canning is a huge success! :)

And Jen -- you amaze me, truly. How DO you remember these things?!?

Anonymous said...

You know what they say about elephants... ;-)

~Jen

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1612,156179-245203,00.html

FUN easy APPLE BUTTER crock pot recipe if you have one? WE love making it!

Jill said...

Jen, yes, that they have a mind like Jennifer's! :-p

Andrea, shoot -- we are crock pot-less on this journey. Just not room for everything. But I'm saving that recipe for someday! Thanks!

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2369,152183-234205,00.html


:-) Could be good to do while schooling since you have to hover a bit this way....

Jill said...

Oh yum -- I'll bet that smells heavenly for the hours it's cooking! I just might have to try that on a cool day. :) Andrea, you are quite the cook, aren't you?

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

That IS the best part, everything smells heavenly for a day! Well, I like to cook, take risks and learn...you know I cook for the retreat center right? My FAVORITE movie I know by heart is Julie&Julia! :-) When you EVER get here, I will cook a Greek FEAST for you all!

Jill said...

Oooooooooh, promise??? Can't wait!!!