Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Miss R.

Jill's Journal: Once upon a time (2nd through 12th grades), I went to a Lilliputian school. It was so small that everyone knew everyone else regardless of age or grade. A teacher at this school, known affectionately as Miss R., taught fifth grade there for two years. She was practically a child herself, being only 20 (and seriously a child prodigy, already having her master’s degree and teaching credential!). Everyone adored Miss R., known by the rest of the world as Sharon. Sadly, she wasn’t my teacher, but I knew her by reputation and by her belting out classics like “Goober Peas” through the paper-thin walls.

We reconnected a few years ago via Facebook (of course!) when Rob and I were planning this RV journey and I heard she homeschools her five children (while simultaneously pursuing her law degree; she’s quite the phenomenal woman). At the time, I didn’t know anyone who homeschooled and ventured to ask her a few questions.

This wonderful lady (she’s only 10 years my senior) and I met for a wonderful, three-hour lunch today, nearly 30 years after we crossed paths in a town 500 miles south of here. We laughed, we nearly cried, we reminisced, we shared secrets, and we just had the best time. I paraphrase, but she put it best: it was a walk down memory lane and we each made a new friend at the same time.

4 comments:

Diana said...

Many more of us "Miss R." fans were there with you in spirit. So glad you two had a good time! (You'll have to share some of the juicy details...) "Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas!" =)

Jill said...

Diana, you were definitely a part of our time together. I have a sneaking suspicion you were one of Sharon's favorites. :)

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

This is just the coolest!!! First, she does sound like an AMAZING woman! Wow! And what a blessing teacher can be. Did I tell you about the Thank you teacher project? I saw an article somewhere about the art of letters :-) and thanking your teachers who inspired you! I found nearly all mine and have done just that, so cool! But also more amazing why I don't leave FB is just this...the art of meeting new and old friends, people who inspire and create..just folks one would never meet otherwise. Just love love love this!

Jill said...

I love everything about your comment, Andrea -- thanks so much! (And that's exactly why I stay on FB too). :)