Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dinosaur World


Jill's Journal: Dinosaur World was on tap yesterday and the girls could hardly wait to get there. Over 150 life-size dinosaurs were featured as we strolled the park in blazing heat and viewed them in their “natural” environments. In spite of seeing Jurassic Park 15 years ago, I’ve never really thought twice about dinosaurs before. I had no idea scientists believe there were so many different kinds! With just 3-4 exceptions, they all look pretty much alike to me. Ross the paleontologist on Friends would be horrified.

But the girls enjoyed going on a fossil dig and playing in the dinosaur boneyard and I’m glad…because it was definitely a little cheesy! I was just waiting for an Elvis impersonator to hop out from behind one of the dinosaurs and burst into song. (No offense to Elvis!) I can’t say the $34.19 in admission fees was worth it, but the girls have been spouting dinosaur names and information ever since, so they must have learned something.

And yesterday evening we found an unexpected treasure. We happened across the small town of Glasgow, Kentucky, and decided to grab some dinner while we were out. Somehow we ended up in a small Mexican restaurant named Garcia’s Grill and had one of the best Mexican meals ever. Who would have thought? Their sign said, “A Different Kind of Mexican Restaurant,” and they were right. It wasn’t Mexican food the American way, but Mexican food like I’ve had in Mexico City or Cabo San Lucas. I had a shrimp/black bean chimichanga, Rob had fish tacos, and both were out of this world. The girls weren’t quite as excited with their fare, but you just can’t please everybody all of the time!

Last night was our last night in this campground and a bright red motorhome had moved in across the way. It looked more like a rock star bus than a motorhome. The girls have something I didn’t know existed…motorhome envy! It is hysterical! Madelyn is especially coveting it. She’s noted that all the rest are “just white,” but this one is “ruby red,” and wants to know if that can be our next home. Funny girl.

3 comments:

gretchenhs said...

I felt the same way at Dinosaur World when we went a couple years ago. We had spent the day at Mammouth Cave and stopped by there on a whim on the way home. LOL
I can say I've been, that's about all I can say besides SO Cheesy!!!

Jill said...

Ha ha, Gretchen! At first I was going to say it was "the height of cheesiness" and then I thought maybe I was being too harsh, so I changed it. Now I'm thinking I shouldn't have!!

jessicadawahare said...

Everytime we drive through the Glasgow area, I want to stop there! Chris thinks I'm nuts for wanting to go and its become a running joke in our house! Comforting to hear that its cheesy and not the coolest place, ever. ;-) Looks like you guys are having a great time-be safe!!