Saturday, July 17, 2010

Remarkable Richmond

Jill's Journal: Richmond is amazing. There has got to be more history here per square inch than in most of the rest of the country combined. It kills me to have seen so little of it while we’ve been here! Driving downtown, I can’t help but swoon at all the old landmarks and buildings. It’s truly a history-lover’s playground.

No matter where I turn, I see another and then another and then another spot I want to explore. And all the beautiful, quaint, old churches (like the one in this picture!) make me wish we were going to be here on Sunday and I could go to services at about five of them in a row.

And yet, we must leave. The reservations we made a year ago on Assateague Island (which is going to be amazing all on its own) await. So, everyone from George Washington to Patrick Henry to Edgar Allan Poe to Stonewall Jackson must wait. We’re going to head up the East Coast in a few weeks and then we have to come back down through this area on our way south this fall or winter. I do believe we’ll stay awhile.

No comments: