Saturday, July 17, 2010

Facing Fears

Jill's Journal: I have three “irrational” fears in life and apparently I’m going to have to face two of them today. One is a strange disdain of long, high bridges. I like looking at them, but driving over them gives me the willies. I’m told the bridge we have to go over today is approximately 20 miles long. It will be a special kind of torture.

Another of my irrational fears is of tunnels. Actually, it’s more of a claustrophobia thing. Apparently one exits this particular bridge only to be thrust into more than a mile-long tunnel on the ocean floor. We’ll see if I’m still breathing at that point.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel has been designated one of seven engineering wonders of the modern world. All it needs is snakes (irrational fear #3) and my horror will be complete.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Rob, Jill & Girls,

Hey, we miss you. Thought I'd check out the blog during last minute writer's block/sermon-cramming time, and had to comment by letting you know this: In October 2003, I ran (not very well) the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel Marathon, which started 12 miles up the bridge just before sunrise and ended at Virginia Beach. It might have helped you with your fears (it was really amazing), but unfortunately only was held in 2002 and 2003(I think the hassle and expense of shutting down half of the bridge for a few hours didn't quite cut it). I'll have to check out the rest of your blog later and catch up some. Gotta get tomorrow ready!!! Phil & Fam