Friday, July 16, 2010

Secretariat’s Birthplace

Jill's Journal: There’s so much history here in Richmond that I barely know where to start. So today I decided to start with what I know best: horse racing. The great Secretariat, the one name in racing the whole world knows, was born in Doswell, Virginia, in 1970. His unbelievable 31-length victory in the Belmont Stakes in 1973 capped a rare Triple Crown victory and still sends goosebumps down the spine of even casual racing fans.

When I saw Doswell was only about 10 miles away from where we’re staying, I knew I had to find the spot. I just assumed it would be well-marked and tourists could visit because this IS Secretariat we’re talking about! Not so.

Meadow Stud is no more and the Virginia State Fair is now on the land. But I was on a mission. It didn’t seem anyone was around, but I must have poked around a little too much because a man soon came out to let me know I was trespassing. Oops. I told him what I was looking for and he sighed, saying they get several people each week asking the same thing and always send them away (clearly they underestimate the tourist draw they have!). I apologized profusely and must have looked pathetic, because he took pity on me.

He hopped in my car (I am definitely not in the habit of letting strange men in my car, especially with three young children – but this IS Secretariat we’re talking about)!! He said the site is closed except during the State Fair in September, but he brought me over to a small, unceremonious barn – more like a shed – and showed me where the great champion was foaled. He then brought me over to another part of the property to show me the yearling barn where “Big Red” spent the early part of his life. Sweet.

We parted with a handshake (I was so excited I would have preferred to hug him!) and he told me to tell all my “Kentucky friends what you’ve seen in Virginia. Just tell them not to do what you did.” Funny guy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Jill, I see nothing has changed...trespassing, cruising around with strange men, causing a general disturbance. Sigh...I wish I'd been there!

--Diana

Anonymous said...

Well Diana summed Jill up pretty good. However, I do know where Jill gets this from... OUR MOTHER. Yes, I said that right... Our mother would drive onto an Indian Reservation in Southern California just to get an up close look at a fire that just broke out. Our mother would push the broken door open of an 'abandon' house, just to get a peek.
If us kids didn't want to participate ... she would state "Wheres your sense of adventure?" And bate us to do it as well.
Love you Mom... and Jill...

Kris :-)

dad said...

what are you doing driving around
with a strange guy and MY granddaughters???

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THESE COMMENTS!!! First of all, I had no idea Johanne was such an adventuress!! And I love that you told on her, Kristi! =) And, Arden, maybe you could convince my parents to get computer-savvy? They have no idea what they're missing out on!! ;-)
Hope all of the Van Peursems are doing well!!
~Jennifer Diann

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, you are all CRACKING ME UP!!!! I can't stop laughing!!

Anonymous said...

Jill, why are you laughing??? My reputation has been maligned!!! Kristin remembers a different MOTHER! (But we did have fun, didn't we?)

Hi Jennifer ~ love keeping up with your comments also.

Love to all, MOM

Unknown said...

I could just see you doing all of that. Very surprised the Fair Board hasn't taken steps to make that a historical site and open it to the public (so no one is caught trespassing in the future!). Especially tie it in with the upcoming movie to be released this fall (which I was not in this time!). Safe travels! Lester J.