Thursday, July 15, 2010

King George (and Lady Diana)

Jill's Journal: Last night was the latest night of my kids’ young life. And it’s sooooo fitting because I would guess many of the latest nights of my life (particularly as a teenager) were for the same reason: we were with Diana.

Dear, dear Diana. (And now husband Scott and little ones Ryan and Kate too). We first met 30 – yes, 30! – years ago when we were practically infants in California. We went through school together, all the way from early elementary to high school, and then were joined at the hip during the early college and dating years. She’s moved about 8,000 times since (Scott is a Navy man) and I’ve made a number of big moves myself, but we’ve always, always kept in touch. She writes the world’s best letters and I've always believed she missed her calling as a comedy writer. Somehow she has now settled right here in Virginia, about 50 miles north of where we’re staying, in what appears to be a tiny little hamlet called King George.

We couldn’t wait to make the trek to see her and her very fun family. Her directions led us past the spot where John Wilkes Booth was tracked and believed to be killed (how cool is that?) after he assassinated President Lincoln and into what seemed to be the middle of nowhere. But suddenly, her neighborhood loomed boldly out of the deep country and there was her beautiful house right in front of us.

What a fun day! Diana and I got all day to catch up (but of course it wasn’t enough) while the kids played and played and played. And after working hours, both husbands joined us and we caught up some more. We left with plans and hopes to meet up again while we’re on this coast (and Ryan’s plans to marry Victoria, hopefully at least 20 years down the road).

Oh, and if Diana wasn’t already special in my life, I have to admit she is singlehandedly responsible for introducing me and Rob. They were on a blind date (yes, together!) and clearly not hitting it off when she introduced us. The rest is history. I’ll be forever grateful they annoyed the heck out of each other as dating prospects! Happily, they make excellent friends. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never knew that Diana introduced you and Rob! I love that story & will have to hear more about it later. And, I'm going to hijack your comment section to tell Diana that she looks exactly the same! (Which is beautiful!) Glad you guys had a great visit!! =)
~Jennifer Diann