Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Unclutterering. (from an outside source).

Jill sent this to me with a subject of simply: 'Saw this and liked it...' And I thought, we should share this, because it may mean something to people who are following along. Then today, Jill got a note from someone I don't know (but I've heard about) saying they were uncluttering because our changes inspired them, so I knew I had to post it...

From Unclutterer.com:

Choosing simple living

An unclutterer is someone who chooses to live without the distractions that get in the way of a remarkable life.

Contrary to what you might assume, the most important word in the definition of an unclutterer isn’t distractions (or what we also call clutter) or even the goal of a remarkable life. The pivotal word in the definition is chooses.

The pursuit of an uncluttered life begins with a choice — you choose to practice simple living. No one can force you to be an unclutterer, and you don’t stumble into a simple life by mistake. Even people who lose all of their possessions in a catastrophe are not unclutterers, as they might choose to fill up their homes and lives again when circumstances permit.

Choosing to live an uncluttered life starts with wanting to get rid of distractions. Once this desire is present, you begin to see your life from this new perspective. When your mindset has changed, your actions will follow. Getting rid of clutter is usually the first outward sign of your choice to be an unclutterer.

From these first steps, you continue to choose to live simply every moment you’re awake. There will come a time when you stop acknowledging this moment-to-moment choice, but you continue to make it (or not make it). Then, when you turn your focus to the things that matter most to you, your reward is the remarkable life you desire.

It all begins with a choice ...

We made a very big change to go from what we had (and nobody really was truly aware of HOW MUCH we really had), to where we are now. We now have a 10' x 10' storage unit, I'll say mostly full, not packed to the rafters by any means. It is really full of sentimental stuff that we should pass on and things that we know we'll want when (if?) we go back to a static, land-based, housing lifestyle. On top of that we have 6 boxes in the truck (all of which just needs to be 'handled'), and the stuff in the fifth-wheel, most of which we need (always just one more clean-out away from being perfect). :)

It'd be a big change for most, but if you knew me, and how much I've uncluttered, you'd be afraid actually. It was one of the biggest steps in the process I think. If anyone wants to know what it took for me to go from - hey, I might have a use for that at some point... to - That's so heavy, and bulky. If I ever need anything like that, I can just buy a new one (but I'll probably never need that.) - just ask me. Its a life-changing decision. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard that saying before... I really like it... puts 'things' into perspective

Love Kris