Sunday, July 25, 2010

Our Chincoteague View

Jill's Journal: Showers. Air conditioning. Clean sheets. Clean floors. A re-stocked refrigerator. We are back to feeling human again. Ahhhh…sometimes the simplest things in life, the ones we most easily take for granted, are The Best.

But sometimes it gets even better. Look at our view! That’s the rear-end of our trailer on the right. We’re practically hanging over the channel, the very one that the world-famous Chincoteague ponies will swim across in a few days. I’ve dreamed of coming here to Chincoteague, Virginia, for the annual pony swim ever since I was a little girl and checked Misty of Chincoteague out of the library for the first of about two dozen reads.

Our girls are going to love it, but to be perfectly honest, that’s just a side benefit (albeit a major one). This stop is for me! When Rob and I first started dreaming about taking this RV adventure about 20 months ago, the possibility of coming to Chincoteague’s Pony Penning Days was pretty much the first thing I thought of…sometimes little girls and their dreams never grow up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that you're getting to live out your dream!! Enjoy every minute of it!!
~Jennifer Diann

gretchenhs said...

Why do the ponies cross the channel?

Laurie said...

I stumbled accross your blog yesterday and have been enjoying reading it from the beginning. your journey appeals to my own sense of wanderlust and the memories I hope to make with my children. I was delighted to get to this part about your trip to chincoteague. my own dreams carried over from childhood have always been to view the pony swim and this dream sparked the decision for our family's RV purchase in 2009 (I actually booked our campsite at Tom's Cove before we even purchased our camper!!!!!). We camped for the pony swim in 2009 and 2010. Very neat to realize we were there at same time as you. after showing my husband the picture of your truck and toy hauler he said he thinks he remembers seeing it. we were also at a waterfront site. I look forward to reading more of your adventure.

Jill said...

PixieMommy, welcome! What fun to realize you were at Tom's Cove at the exact same time we were -- and what a shame we didn't meet. I'd love to hear more about you and your own wanderlust and camping adventures!