Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tired, Crabby, and Maymont House

Jill's Journal: Oh, did we have tired girls today! Those who know me well know I’ve always been religious about routine and especially bedtimes with the kids. RE-LI-GI-OUS. I never wavered. The girls were in bed between 7 and 7:30 during the summers and 6:30 and 7 during the winter. Always. They might have gotten an extra hour on Christmas Day, but that was about it. Call me the Sleep Nazi, it’s okay. Not only did they thrive on routine, but I needed that quiet time without kids in the evenings.

With our new lifestyle, Rob and I agreed that we’d try a later bedtime. We’ve pushed it back to 8 or 8:30, sometimes even 9, and the girls love staying up, but they are not sleeping any later in the morning. The older two still wake up between 6 and 6:30 every morning (Victoria, to her credit, sleeps longer if I can keep her sisters quiet), just like they did with the earlier bedtime. I thought the big girls would start sleeping later once they got used to the later bedtime, but it hasn’t happened yet, much to my dismay.

Last night, they weren’t in bed until 10:30pm. Ridiculous. And when those little faces still greeted me at 6:30 this morning, I couldn’t help but dread the day because Mommy in all her wisdom knew tempers would be short.

I was right.

When the tight confines of a fifth wheel proved to be more than their crabbiness could bear, I loaded them up and headed to downtown Richmond and Maymont House per a friend’s recommendation (thanks, Mary!). It’s a Gilded Age mansion originally on 100 acres in what seems to be the middle of the city. I didn’t think the girls would be interested in the mansion adorned with original Tiffany stained glass, but a “Children’s Farm,” live otters, and wildlife exhibits including bears, elk, and bison sounded right up their alley.

I was wrong.

It was a trek from the parking lot into the main grounds and the girls were hot and sweaty by the time we reached the mansion. We decided to take a break from the hike and take a mansion tour to take advantage of their air conditioning. Much to my amazement, the girls were absolutely riveted by the opulence of the house (which contains almost all of its original furnishings). Built in 1893, the 33 rooms included five bathrooms with indoor plumbing and full electricity (both incredible rarities at the time). Each room was more lavish than the last and by the time we got to an ostentatious swan bedroom, the girls were completely won over and imagining what it would have been like to attend a tea party in the house.

We left the house with the tour guide complimenting me on my beautifully-behaved children (score one for Mom!) and headed toward the animals. On the way, Madelyn, who never simply walks (but absolutely must skip or run or bounce), fell and skinned her knee badly. She saw the blood and threw in the towel, wanting to skip the animals and go home “to show Daddy.” Victoria, who is always hot anyway and was melting in the heat, jumped on the bandwagon. Poor Erika had no desire to miss what we’d come for and I felt terrible for her, but if I’ve learned one thing about traveling with kids in these early weeks, it’s that I’ve got to be flexible. So, we called it a day and headed home for an early dinner and an early bedtime.

Now that’s my kind of luxury.

No comments: