Friday, July 30, 2010

Return Pony Swim

Jill's Journal: What swims across the channel must swim back! Early this morning to much less ceremony, the adult ponies made the return swim across the channel. The saltwater cowboys left them at the Assateague shore. The ponies hesitated, seemingly questioning, “What are we supposed to do now?”

And then they realized…they were free once again! The ponies leaped in and out of the ocean spray, cantering through the marsh, and gathered in a large meadow just off the beach. I can still see them across the channel right now, grazing and gradually splitting into their own herds as the stallions gather their families.

I counted each one as they cantered down the Assateague beach and there were only about 40 head of robust adult horses (and no babies). I don’t know this for sure, but I suspect the remaining foals with their mamas and some of the more senior members that may have a harder time on the swim get a ride back across the bridge in a trailer. :)

By the way, these photos, while not great quality, were literally snapped out our front door. We are that close! Seriously, sometimes I feel like the luckiest person in the world!

2 comments:

Teaching Tommy said...

I am so jealous of you! The freedom of the road, the joy of being so close to the road, to nature. The memories you are making are priceless. I love your blog. It makes me smile just knowing you are out there doing all these wonderful things.

gretchenhs said...

"I feel like the luckiest person in the world!"

Wait a minute...you're not?? *hug*