Sunday, August 29, 2010

A fantastic Sunday...

Since we've been in routine, I've thought of Sunday as 'My Day'. I work during the week, we drive on Saturday - usually, and I've learned a ton about myself by paying attention and realized that I NEED some downtime during the week. Jill's indulged me that I'm on my own schedule on Sunday - for the most part, and I really appreciate it. That being said - sometimes it just needs to be a day of doing stuff, rather than a day of rest. I don't get that many chances to see all the things that the girls see... so today - I decided that we'd venture out - and it was rewarding.

First, we wandered back down to that spectacular border crossing (what may be the most spectacular, and really - surprising, we'll see...) to see if we were just happy to be close to camp; It was as great as we'd remembered. Pictures will follow as I don't have the camera to download right now. Sadly, I'm not sure it could be appreciated as much here as from the road, but WOW is all we have to say.

After driving there, and filling up the van (that was on E, with the many FUN motorcyclists - DOB) we set our sights for Newport, to see the mansions. And, to drive through the heart of the state to learn what we could about this tiny state you can drive across between breakfast and lunch (or was it brunch, if you were so inclined?).

When we got to Newport, it was clearly a tourist destination, and they knew it. A cruise ship in the harbor - teams of people wandering every little shop (many of which you can find all over the US), and traffic. But, we soldiered on, wanting to push though and drive Bellevue drive, where the RICHEST of the the rich built opulent houses in the 1800's, simply because they could. Funny thing is, they only summered in the houses - about 6 weeks a year. Staffs of 40 or 50 people, an upkeep that probably would rival a museum, but the money didn't matter. Clearly, this was about one-upping each other, and each house was bigger than the next.

I'd always heard of 'The Breakers'. Seems everyone here, even now, names their house. As if it were a ship. The Breakers was Cornelius Vanderbilt II's house, and tho it is off Bellevue (where all the other estates are) you can tell he did it for a reason. The street there is a 'driveway' and he was clearly the leader of the industry, and the society here.

I figured, if we were gonna see one of the houses, this was the house to see. From the solid alabaster columns, to the Swiss marble walls, to the 50 foot entry hall, to the amazing view (seen throughout this post), the guy knew who to hire (the architects and designers made careers and published books based on this commission). Most shocking info of the tour tho is that he only really got to enjoy the house, as it was, for one year. Turns out it was finished in 1895, and in 1896 he had a stroke, then died in '99. Gladly, the family held on to it for quite some time after, but it makes me glad I'm not building a mansion.

The pictures of the view show it from the back and front... (yes, that is Madelyn in the shadow, and Erika below the balcony). I've rambled enough, and I hope that Jill fills everything else in about this place, this house, and this trip.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Wow... I want to live there. Jesse and Meisje could totally kick it on the lawn together ;-)