Sunday, August 1, 2010

Umm…Delaware?

Jill's Journal: Remember the campy 1992 movie “Wayne’s World”? There’s a scene where Wayne and his sidekick Garth pretend they’re in different states and show a brief highlight of each state. When they get to Delaware, they just stand around and say, “Hi. I’m in…Delaware.” I took it to mean there’s nothing to do in Delaware, nothing that stands out about the “First State.” But that couldn’t be right, could it?

I can’t be sure yet, and no offense to Delaware, but so far it has left me just like Wayne and Garth -- quite uninspired! Maybe we’ve gotten spoiled by the other wonderful places we’ve already been, but it appears Delaware has not much more than a lot of flat land and generic, undistinguishable buildings. I remember driving through Delaware on other road trips and thinking that there had to be more than what one saw from the road. But maybe not!

A town called Houston, just outside of Dover, is our address this week. The good things: a quiet, hidden campground with gorgeous old trees. A stray cat (minus a tail) who has tried to come into our trailer more than once and has thoroughly entertained the girls. And a camp host/manager who is a dead ringer in both attitude and appearance for Whoopi Goldberg and has thoroughly entertained us adults. (I didn’t dare take a picture of Whoopi, so the cat will have to suffice).

We’ve been so busy that we need a quiet week to regroup and reconnect and catch up on all kinds of little (and big) projects around the “house.” I think Delaware is just the right spot. It’s going to be a good week.

1 comment:

Ricki Rosenberg said...

Hi Erica,
What a fantastic summer you are having! I just read about your pony ride and your ride in the cute little red car! It sounds like you are having a ball. One summer we rented an RV when our kids were 7, 10 and 12. We went out west and loved every minute of it.

I was very interested to read about Assateague and Chincoteague - sorry about the spelling. I've been there too and loved it. Actually, I go to Bethany Beach, Delaware several times a year because my parents have a beach house there. Did you go there?

Now that I am reading your blog, I will be looking for comments from not only your mom but from you as well!

Keep having fun. I will miss you this year at Picadome. I have already been to school several times and I am going to school tomorrow, too. I'd rather be with you in your RV!!!!

Keep in touch.
Love, Mrs. Rosenberg