Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I’m a Criminal

Jill's Journal: It’s a good thing we’re leaving New Jersey tomorrow, because I feel like there’s a price on my head after an unfortunate toll experience today. Garmin, who now urges me forward with a gentle Australian accent, suddenly threw me onto a freeway onramp. It was a small onramp by New Jersey standards – just four lanes – but two of those lanes were for electronic passes and two were for exact change ($0.35) only. Normally there’s an option for a human to give change if needed. I had no idea it was coming and had just spent most of my change on other tolls and parking meters.

I scrounged frantically around the car for change (even going so far as asking the girls if they saw any money anywhere!), but could only come up with $0.27, mostly in pennies. I even considered begging another driver for a dime, but in a strange Jersey moment, there was no one else around with the exception of the electronic pass people speeding through two lanes down. I would have happily put in a full dollar bill or even a $5 dollar bill at that point, but this toll took change only.

Finally, with no way to turn around, no way to exit, and no way to go anywhere but forward, I sheepishly dropped my $0.27 into the coin bin and continued on. Eight measly cents short! I’m sure a photo is being processed of my license plate and a ticket/fine is being sent to my address as we speak. I feel like such a criminal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! I KNEW one of us would end up in jail eventually! It might take me a while to drive to Jersey & spring you from the pen, but I'll get there if I have to! :)

-Diana

Jill said...

You are such a pal, Diana!! I always thought we'd be in the slammer together, but since it looks like I might be heading there first, it's awesome to know I can count on you!!