Wednesday, August 11, 2010

School Blues

Jill's Journal: All day, my thoughts have been with our friends of school-age children in Lexington. Today would have been the first day of school if we were still in Kentucky and I’ve got such mixed feelings about this. Missing this first day makes it feel really final that we’ve left Kentucky, at least for now. It makes it feel like there’s no turning back! Not that I want to – we’re loving what we’re doing and wouldn’t change it. But our girls love to learn and really thrive in a classroom setting. It gives me that uncertainty, hopefully just briefly, of whether or not we’re doing the right thing. Erika, our oldest, knows all her little friends started first grade today and she is so envious. She’s been begging me for weeks to start homeschooling and I know she’s ready. It’s me that isn’t!

When I was a kid, school started the day after Labor Day, not before the middle of August. My plan was to put us on that same schedule. We’ll see if we can hold out that long…and we may have no choice as I just ordered our curriculum a few days ago. Hopefully it’ll be on the way soon because I have some eager little girls on my hands.

6 comments:

Jimmy W. said...

I agree Jill,
School starts too early and you will get so much teaching and learning done in less hours than they attend public school per day....so let them enjoy their childhood, we put way to much pressure and rushed lives on our children today, they will have plenty of that in their grownup years.

Take Care and Keep On Rolling On!!
God Bless,
Jimmy

Katie Lady said...

I agree! School should start a bit later and get out a bit later. The kids here in Orange County, though, don't start until SEPTEMBER 13! And they go until the middle of JUNE!

Home schooling is a definite choice, one of sacrifice for the good of many, even at the expense of a few. Your girls will thrive and so will you, in this sacrifice. My prayer is that they will get a better foundation from your teaching, than any public school could offer.

gretchenhs said...

Oh I think school should at least wait until after the KY state fair is over. I would love to take Liz there, but she has too get up too early for school. Always annoys me!

You'll be such a good teacher.

Jill said...

Thank you, everyone, for such wonderful comments. I'm going to go back and re-read them over and over again every time I need inspiration.

Teresa Drew said...

Ready or not…when they're ready, it's time. Best of luck slowing down Erika. It's so nice that she gets to learn at her own pace. What curriculum did you pick?

Jill said...

Hey sweet Teresa! We're going with Sonlight and are so excited. I did a mountain of research and was really pleased with everything about their program.